- 2 tbsp preserved lemon paste, we love NY Shuk
- ¼ c Seed + Mill Organic Tahini
- 1 tbsp date syrup, we love Just Date
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Hawaij, cumin works too!
- 3-4 tbs water, or more as needed
- Salt & Pepper, as desired
- 1 fennel bulb (finely sliced, we used a mandolin)
- + finely sliced fennel fronds
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
- 2 sprigs of mint, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- AKUA Kelp Burgers
- Hamburger buns
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the sauce
1. Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, until smooth. Add additional water if it feels too thick or 1-2 tbs more tahini, if too thin. Keep whisking, until you reach your desired consistency. This sauce is enough for approx. 4 burgers. You can keep the sauce in the fridge for up to 4 days and use again for other dishes.
For the slaw
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss.
To Prepare & Serve
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is shimmering, add the kelp burgers (or other vegan patties) to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from pan.
2. Toast the buns using the residual heat in the skillet.
3. Once the buns are toasted, it's time to assemble! We layered a burger over the bottom bun, a dollop of sauce, a large handful of slaw, shallots, another burger, another dollop of sauce, and topped it with the top bun. Enjoy!
Cook along with us here!